The Google May 2022 Core Update is the latest major algorithm update from Google. This update is designed to improve users’ overall quality of search results. As with any significant algorithm update, there are bound to be some winners and losers in terms of Rankings and traffic. In this article, we’ll look at what the update means for you and your website.
What is May 2022 Core Update?
Google updates its algorithm several times a year. Most of these updates are small and go unnoticed by the majority of webmasters. However, every few months or so, Google will release a major update that can significantly impact website traffic and rankings.
Core updates change the way Google processes and interpret information on the web. These changes can result in big swings in the Goole search. While the core updates do not attempt to target individual websites, such an impact is inevitable. Some sites will see their traffic and rankings increase while others will experience a decrease.
What Does May 2022 Core Update Mean For You?
Core updates reassess the quality and relevance of content on your website. If your content is high quality and relevant, you may see an increase in traffic and rankings. However, if your content is low quality or irrelevant, you may see a decrease in traffic and rankings.
Google has always stressed the importance of quality content. However, with this latest update, they seem to be placing even more emphasis on high-quality content. This means that if you want to see an increase in traffic and rankings, you need to ensure that your content is top-notch.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when creating quality content:
- Write for your audience first and Google second.
- Make sure your content is well researched and thoroughly proofread.
- Structure your content in an easily digestible format.
- Use images, videos, and infographics to break up your text and make your content more engaging.
- Focus on creating evergreen content that will be relevant for years to come.
- Pay attention to user experience and ensure your website is designed with the user in mind.
Google suggests that website owners should ask the following questions to self-assess the quality of content.
- Does the content provide original information, reporting, research, or analysis?
- Does the content have excessive ads that distract from or interfere with the main content?
- Is the content mass-produced by or outsourced to many creators, or spread across an extensive network of sites, so that individual pages or sites don’t get as much attention or care?
- Is the content created solely for the benefit of search engines rather than visitors?
- Does the content provide complete and accurate information about the topic?
- Is the content up-to-date with the latest information available on the topic?
To create high-quality content, you can use SEO tools such as Moz Pro, Surfer SEO or Twinword. These tools will help you research your topic, find relevant keywords, and track your progress over time. These will ensure that you’re on the right track to creating quality content that will please your audience and Google.
Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness
- Is the content written by an expert or enthusiast who knows the topic well?
- Does the content present information in a way that makes you want to trust it, such as clear sourcing, evidence of the author’s expertise, background information about the author, or references to professional credentials?
- Is the content free of easily-verified factual errors?
- Does the content include insightful analysis or interesting information that is beyond obvious?
- Is this the sort of page you’d want to bookmark, share with a friend, or recommend?
- Is the content easy to read, understand, and navigate?
- Do the design of the website and the content itself encourage visitors to stay on the site and interact with the content?
- Is it easy to find the content you’re looking for?
- Are there any spelling or grammatical errors?
- Does the content have a pleasant and appropriate tone?
To see how users interact with your content, you can use paid tools like Clicky or Hotjar. These will show you how long users stay on your website, what pages they’re visiting, and what links they’re clicking on.
- Does the content provide more value as compared to other pages in search results?
- Is the content unique, or does it simply regurgitate information that can be found elsewhere on the web?
To compare your content against competitors, you can use tools like Ahrefs or SEMRush. You can see the average word count, backlinks, and organic traffic of the top-ranking pages for your target keywords. This will give you an idea of what you need to do to outrank your competitors.
The May 2022 Core Update is a reminder that Google is constantly working to improve the quality of its search results. As a result, website owners need to make sure that their content is high quality and relevant if they want to see an increase in traffic and rankings. Further, it’s key to remember that just because the content is performing well today doesn’t mean it will continue to perform well in the future. Google is constantly changing and evolving, so website owners must stay on top of their game to keep their traffic and rankings high.